Day one in an Agile environment
Coming from traditional organizations, a few things immediately strike me on my first day:
- everybody in the office is smiling;
- except for the training room and the general manager’s office, the space is completely open [I believe it’s the collaborators (this is how Pyxis employees are called) who requested that the GM have a closed office for confidentiality reasons];
- most people are working at their space in small groups, gathered around their computers to discuss project situations;
- there are many white boards all over the place;
- all the furniture and the white boards are on wheels so they can be moved around to accommodate each project team [I’m told the furniture is new and was also requested by the collaborators].
This seems trivial at first but having read about the Agile approach, these seemingly small details are there to support collaboration and team work in order to deliver quality software. I will have to judge for myself over time if indeed their is a correlation between the environment and the results. I can say that the energy level is striking.